Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mid-Week Musings

It has been a little while since my last post and I'm lacking inspirado. So, I need a gimmick, preferably with an alliterative name, to post random thoughts in a short, bullet-point style. Alas, I give you Mike's Mid-Week Musings.

>> Since this blog started and ostensibly remains about our venture through life without cable, I will first report that our life hasn't changed at all. Not missing it, not really even too bummed about missing the NBA playoffs on TNT as I can follow games online. Other than that, Netflix, MLB TV, network stations through an antenna, and the internet are more than adequate.

>> In the comments, Vince questioned my NFL-watching commitment, which is not-so-subtly questioning my commitment to our juggernaut fantasy football team, The Knats. As to football, I still get CBS, FOX, and NBC, so I'll only miss Monday night games on ESPN, which I rarely watched as it was. And Time Warner doesn't get the NFL Network, so I don't get those Thursday games anyway. Plus, it's a good excuse to go to the Brooksider for wingy and nach on Sundays. As for our team, c'mon man, my Knats shirt says it all.

>> "I still owe money to the money to the money I owe." -The National, "Bloodbuzz Ohio." Hmm, I couldn't have said it any better. Sounds like singer Matt Berninger went to law school. Who knew? (He didn't.) And the new album, High Violet, is very good.

>> One of the things I do love about living in the Midwest is the huge thunderstorms that come through. This afternoon we had one such storm, with rain so hard you could barely see and constant thunder and lightning all around. I love it. My dogs, not so much. It's not the thunder and lightning; that doesn't bother them. It's going out in the rain to potty that they hate. I can't blame them, really...I would hate to go stand in the yard and pee during a torrential downpour. Anyway, it's always the same thing. Even though they've been in a crate all day and need to go, neither wants to go out. I try yelling, try being nice, try tricking them, and eventually I get them out the back door. Neko starts to go to the grass, but feels the rain and turns back to the door. Since she would rather endure the rain than disappoint me (or deal with my wrath), she reconsiders and goes out to the grass to get the job done. Meanwhile, Dora cowers at the back door, under the tiny awning, and refuses to go out into the rain. Won't budge. Even though it's raining so hard that the awning is not preventing her from getting soaked. So Neko comes back in, having done the job, and Dora remains sitting there. I know what she's thinking -- "If I have to go out there, so do you." And, inevitably, that's what happens. So I pick her up, run out into the grass, and set her down, and only then will she pee. And so it went this evening after work, and how I came to find myself in my work clothes, standing in our yard, drenched from head to toe, with Dora laughing at me.

So much for the short bullet points I have some more thoughts, but this is enough for one night. And since she is the star of the show, here is a picture that Amber took of Dora, which you can also see on Amber's 365 day blog.






- Posted using BlogPress

2 comments:

  1. Wingy. Nach. Football... I miss the NFL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never doubt your commitment to the Knats. However, if I did, you are right to think that I would give you subtle hints. How is the trophy holding up, and how in the hell has Amber been able to go 96 days on her blog without taking a photo of it? Maybe she is waiting for 365, the grand finale. Mysterious!

    ReplyDelete