Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mid-Week Musings

Is it already Wednesday again?  Funny how the work week seems to go so slowly, but time flies for the rest of life.

--  Cable-free living continues to be a breeze.  I am surprised by how easy the transition has been.  The only time we wished we had cable was for the Blackhawks game last Friday, so we ended up going to a bar and sipping Belgians and IPAs while watching the game.  I really can't say that's a bad thing.  We did find ourselves watching the last 20 minutes of "24" the other night, just to have something on TV.  This prompted Amber to ask, "Isn't this the reason we got rid of cable?"  Fair point, but at least we are wasting time for free now.

--  Last Saturday we went on a float trip on the mighty Niangua River in mid-Missouri.  We stayed at Jared & Cara's cabin (aka Cara's parents' cabin), and had a really great time.  The only downside was that Amber and I came back with red bug bites all over us -- chiggers.  I'm not sure how prevalent chiggers are throughout the rest of the country, but I do not recall being blessed with their presence - at least this frequently - until I moved to Missouri.  If you don't know anything about chiggers, read about them here.  There is nothing good about them, from their name to their look to the red bumps and welts they leave to the severe itchiness of those bumps and welts.  Sunday night I could hardly sleep because I was so itchy; since then Amber and I -- Itchy & Scratchy -- have constantly bathed ourselves in Benadryl.  Hopefully we will stop itching one of these days.

--  So Dan and I started P90X.  As promised last week, I have posted a picture of our pullup tower monstrosity below.  Amber is dealing with it admirably.  I've got a feeling my old boss (as in, used to be my boss, not that he is "old") Greg would be proud of the tower.  Long ago (almost 10 years ago now!) Greg introduced me to the lunch-time basketball and bench press schedule...really the ideal way to break up a work day.  Greg would also be proud to know that I have continued the bench press program which he introduced me to, aptly dubbed "The Program" and have added probably 5-10 converts along the way.

--  Finally, I mentioned Greg, and he is doing a 365 day blog like Amber.  Even if you don't know him, check out his blog here.  Enjoy.



3 comments:

  1. The tower is beautiful. From now on, it will be known as... "The Tower". I am thinking of building one myself. Can you send me the schematics? I would want to get it just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks sturdy. I see my furniture taking a definite course change. Plus pressure treated 4x4's it goes well with the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed the fireplace in the background of this photo. So whenever you finally move to California you can just throw the tower in the fireplace and heat up your house for a month.

    ReplyDelete